Saturday, November 3, 2007

The Politician's Hand

I've had cause for much of my adult life to be in the presence of celebrities and politicians. This evening after a lovely dinner out among new friends, smiles and goodbye hugs were exchanged. My friends joyfully extended themselves, savoring our time together, thinking on fun times to come. The evening celebrated the opening of a meaningful, non-profit arts institution. We toasted the success of the woman who birthed the project: a remarkable, gifted, creative, humble, generous, and intelligent,...a politician to be. During jubilant farewells, I heard a strange statement, "So-and-so doesn't hug," referring to this magnificent young woman. The Politician doesn't hug. With her hand formally outstretched, far from her body, stiff and curt, she kept safe distance: in the important practice of protecting her personal space. Photographers will be everywhere as her rightful leadership path emerges. Her presence is meaningful to the press, and will become moreso. My heart ached. This extraordinary woman who is phenomenally generous with her personal funds, intelligence and energy supporting the arts, teaching people to fish rather than throwing promises away...this woman I will vote for when she is ready for office. But oh, how my heart ached. This magnificent woman, whose mission is Love, whose focus is productivity, wellness with strength and kindness...well. She doesn't hug. Is this OK for me as a citizen of this loving country? I have created the environment where leaders must so protect their virtues that the simple, truthful act of a heart-to-heart hug with a new friend cannot co-exist with a political dream. It's a powerful choice. I don't know her motive: if this is a sacrifice for her, or even if the 'no-hug' policy is politically motivated. But with much experience in celebrity folds, a famous 'hello' squeeze turns into an tabloid instant affair if photographed. Simple as that. Who are we becoming as a nation that open affection is prohibited for our leaders? For our entertainers? What about for beloved new friends of friends? I'm not sure. It just 'IS'. I'm a hugger. Heart to heart. Soul to Soul. Gratitude to Gratitude, and Song to Song. I send this noble woman a hug, silently, from my laptop right now. Over the airwaves. Through the void. I hope, in some small way, she feels my appreciation for all she is doing for the community. I look forward to seeing what she does for the world. I'll be behind her, sending her silent hugs all the way. Blessings, Robbi

No comments: