Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Waiting on the World to Change; Use Your Art

I wrestle with my mind every time I hear John Mayers 'Waiting on the World to Change'. There are few songs which activate me as this one does. It angers me. This amazing artist is singing about 'waiting' until someone steps up to create the change we want. 'we don't have the means to rise above and beat it... 'hard to be persistent when we're standing at a distance... 'if we had the power... Yet his music impacts the world. The actions he took to become the great artist he is has NOTHING to do with waiting for anything to change. I've watched people step over a person, unconscious, on the streets of New York. Watched a huge guy beating his woman in a subway until I jumped on him, and then others joined me. What about Voting? Giving your goods to a charity rather than trashing them? Turning the lights off when leaving the house (can anyone, at this point in history, deny global warming?) If we are passive with things which matter right before our eyes, then how will we have the integrity, or the velocity to act when it truly matters? How can a generation of 'waiters' end a war? Feed a nation? The 'Waiting on the World to Change' video shows graffiti artists working. Whether you like or believe in the art form of graffiti is not the point-these folks are DOING something to affect their world...expressing themselves; creating! Not sitting on the couch in front of the tube, deadening their minds with the opinions of others. They aren't dazing around doing nothing as the song suggests. Who is going to step up to change my life/my world but me? Our position in the universe is What We Make It. I dig this artist like crazy, and I hope his next song speaks of action. Whatever pulls his heart, demands his mind; I want John Mayer's next song to be about greatness--the kind that got him where he is. And inspiring us to act on our own greatness. Lil slice o' Mandela would be nice.

No comments: